Anyone who has been to the Buxton area has probably seen Solomon’s Temple high up on the hillside to the south of the town. It is a lovely short walk either from Buxton town centre, or from the Pooles Cavern car park, or even nearer from the Buxton Country Park car park near to Grinlow caravan site. You can climb the spiral staircase to the top of the tower and be rewarded with fabulous views across the landscapes of both the Dark Peak and the White Peak.
The tower was built in 1896 by public subscription and is thought to take its name from a local man called Soloman Mycock who rented land up there to graze sheep in the early 1800s. In Victorian times when Buxton was a popular spa town, the tower was a favorite walking destination for people after ‘taking the waters’ in the town’s baths.
The tower is actually built on the site of a neolithic burial mound, and going back around 5,000 years, this hilltop is believed to have been used for religious rites.